There’s more to outdoor lighting than screwing a 100-watt bulb into the socket on the porch. These days, outdoor lighting adds ambience, appeal, and warmth. It offers you safety, security and extends the use of your outdoor living space into the evening hours. Plus, there are so many styles from which to choose, you can really add some polish to your patio! Outdoor lighting is just about the best thing to come along since, well…the lightbulb.
If you’re considering adding outdoor lighting to your outdoor living space, some of these trends just might inspire a “lightbulb moment.”
- Use down-lighting (lighting things from beneath) or up-lighting (lighting things from above) to highlight points of interest in your landscape, such as a water feature or a sculpture.
- Install in-ground light fixtures by inserting them into plastic housing and placing them in a hole in the ground. Use them to illuminate trees, gardens, or even pathways for safer passage through the dark.
- Solar-powered lights are one of the most popular lighting options on the market today. They work beautifully for spotlighting your garden, while saving energy and money.
- Lanterns continue to be popular. Hang them from trees or shepherd hooks, and give your garden and patio a festive ambiance.
- Outdoor wall lighting (think sconces) can enhance architecture and bring a warm and welcoming atmosphere to a patio.
- Outdoor lamps come in a variety of styles and shapes, are moveable and can be placed near seating areas.
- Motion-sensitive, ground-mounted spotlights Illuminate dark corners around your property for increased security.
- Place fixtures in the tops of trees and allow light to filter down through the branches for a light/shadow effect called “moon lighting.”
- Switch things up by adding a pop of color. Swap out those boring white bulbs for red, green, blue or yellow.